Tuesday, March 11, 2008

yesterday

So, yesterday found me writing my resignation letter for Covenant. It was weird, really - ending something but at the same time continuing it. Effective March 21, I and most of our staff will no longer work at Covenant - but at New Hope Presbyterian. Of course, working out of the house will be a change ...

In other news, I tried to start a kitchen fire last night. You know I love to cook and I was in a rush (due to an hour long grocery trip with the kids) so i didn't put all the groceries away which meant that there was no counter space (we have little enough as it is) and so I put the Joy of Cooking on the back of the stove (yes, you can tell what's coming) and 45 minutes later while stirring risotto I said ...
"That doesn't smell like roasted pork or sauteed greens!"
... and what did my eyes behold but a half-moon bright orange glow partially obscured by a smoking white book. Yes, the Joy of Cooking was en fuego, my friends! I yelped, grabbed it, flipped it over (such a nice bubbly-brown ring pattern!) splashed it with water ... and went back to cooking. It now sits happily back on the shelf.

And in still other news, I finally started reading, for the first time (gasp!), The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Sallinger. Maybe that's why I am feeling random ...

UPDATE (3/16 evening): if one accident wasn't enough this week - I tried to slice off my left index finger tip on Friday night. I was slicing homemade bread (yes, that is another kitchen misadventure worth its own post) when my super-cool super-sharp knife (thanks David and Rabia) went into my finger, not the bread. After the instaneous moment of thought "why'd the knife meet resistance OH MY GOSH that's my FINGER not the crust!" I had to quit the crouton-making business and go for the bandaids. All I could find was this "Cars" movie-themed one - thanks, kids. It beat the Little Mermaid, though. Oh - and I finished Catcher in the Rye, and it wasn't what I was expecting. That book grew on me - I didn't like it until about 1/2 way through. I can see why your average teen finds something to cherish in its pages. More on that later. Oh - and it was our last Sunday at Covenant. Hello New Hope!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Andy, do you know how much I love you? your fire and my car wreck - we are a pair! love you much just heard for the first time a song by Telecast called face to face - do you know it>? its cool.

Trying to make sure I get tix to Explosions/Lichen this month

Mylissa said...

Love your update...I also encountered knife issues this week. The chef's knife got me TWICE...same hand, two different fingers. :)
Many prayers for you guys over this week! I know it will be a busy one, but filled with many blessings.