Monday, August 25, 2008

on cooking

Most of you know that I love to cook. I've recently been reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto (oddly enough as research for a theology paper), and I wanted to share with you a long quote from this simply marvelous little book. Enjoy!

"As cook in your kitchen you enjoy an omniscience about your food that no amount of supermarket study or label reading could hope to match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists and processors, you know exactly what is and is not in it: there are no questions about high-fructose corn syrup, or ethoxylated digliycerides, or partially hydrogenated soy oil, for the simple reason that you didn't ethoxylate or partially hydrogenate anything, nor did you add any additives. (Unless, that is, you're the kind of cook who starts with can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim this much control over one's food, to take it back from industry and science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time cooking from scratch and growing any of your own food qualify as subversive acts."

I'll cheat and give you his rules of thumb: "Eat Food. Mostly Plants. Not too much." Breathtakingly simple, and profoundly wonderful. All the best things usually are. Into the subversion!

UPDATE on 9.6.08 - I planted some plants. I think they are growing. Of course - the goal would be to eat them, or rather, eat what they produce. I give myself a 53% chance of it working ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points. This is why I'm always trying (and succeeded yesterday!) to make the time to bake our own bread. Of course, it's almost all gone by now...

I wish I enjoyed cooking more, but I don't. I would like for my family to eat more made-from-scratch delicious and nutritious dinners but it's like pulling teeth for me to put in that much time and effort. (Not to mention the unpredictability of small children can make it doubly hard).

Rachel said...

Hey Andy...take it a step further and start your own garden! Hope you all are surviving all the storms.
Cheers, Rachel

andy cornett said...

Rabia, I know! It seems like every time R or I make bread it is just gone in a couple of days and then we have to do it again. I know that's how it works, but ...

Rachel, [Andy feeling shame] ... I know. We've been talking about that for some time, and this fall the kids and I just need to get our butts in gear and make it happen. Check back with me in a month to two!

Adam Pratt said...

I'm still working my way through Omnivore's Dilemma, but so far so good. A few years ago I realized how much I love to eat. And I don't just eat large quantities of food like I used to, but smaller portions of quality food. At the same time I realized that I loved to eat great food, I came to terms with the fact that I should start MAKING it, and cooking is now a big passion of mine.

All that so say that knowing EVERYTHING that goes into a meal is somehow very empowering and also very simple. I do all the grocery shopping and my goal is to purchase as few things that come in packages as possible. That goes a long way toward Polan's "Eat Food" statement.

andy cornett said...

Adam,

I was making this stir-fried beef wtih ginger last night and thinking how simple the good things are: a handful of fresh ingredients. I'm with you on smaller portions of really great food. I'm going to try this experiment on our family in Sept: be way more conscious at the grocery store and market, buy better things, buy less (and less packaged) - and see how we fare.

PS - I saw online yesterday that Worldvision is sponsoring a marathon and half-marathon in Miami in late January for AIDS relief ... it got me thinking ...

Adam Pratt said...

Send me a link, I haven't done Florida yet...

Unknown said...

interesting how we are all on a similar page here. my goal is only one piece of meat a week, and its usually fish. my new favorite in the last six months- edamame's.

its amazing how when you stock your kitchen with REAL fast food ( vegs, fruits, nuts grains, etc, you dont really need the other kind:)

now if I could just kick the white sugar white flour habit.....

thanks for the FOOD for thought andy...mom