Tuesday, October 7, 2008

who gets your vote?

So ... I (Andy) am in the unfamiliar territory of being less than 30 days from a major election and still being unsure of who will get my vote. Will it be McCain or Obama? I have many opinions. There are things I like about each candidate, and several I dislike.

So I want to take the step of asking all of you, whether you read this on the blog or on Facebook, to weigh in with your votes. I would love to know up to three things: (1) for whom you will vote - McCain, Obama, or another, (2) the most compelling reason for voting for that person, and (3) a compelling reason to not vote for his (or her) opponent. As always, let's please have some civility along with our courage.

I promise that later I will say what I think.
As always ... grace and peace!

11 comments:

Jason said...

Andy,
Great discussion to have. First off I should say that I was raised a democrat and leaned that way most of my life. I consider myself to be ALMOST independent now, although it obviously depends on the issue

1) McCain will get my vote
2) I think experience does matter and McCain simply has more of it. I also understand that McCain isn't just a repeat of Bush; in fact he has gone the opposite direction many times despite how he is being painted.
3) While I think Obama is a very sharp candidate and I don't think by any means our country would be in danger if he were elected, I can't get past the people he has surrounded himself with. He has associated with Bill Ayers who bombed the pentagon, us capitol, and nyc police headquarters. i don't think you can just hang around with someone so radical and unrepentant without having your judgement questioned.

David Gale said...

I'm planning on voting for Palin and McCain. I wasn't very excited about McCain (he's too liberal in many ways), but Palin balances that out. A lot. (A friend of mine actually created some "Old Guy/Palin '08" buttons for this reason.)

So, if you're looking for a compelling reason to vote for McCain, I'm afraid I can't help you much. Of the choices, he's the one who is most likely to rein in governmental spending (which we sorely need), though he has indicated that he wants to spend some money on things I don't want/care about.

Obama, on the other hand...well, he's talked about a lot of spending programs he wants to add, though he changes his position often enough that it's hard to be sure what he'd actually do. His congressional record is short, but very, very liberal, favoring increased spending and higher taxes to pay for it all. I can't help but believe that he'd pull the country towards socialism (of course, with the bailout, we're headed that way anyhow), despite the fact that all of the countries that have tried socialism have had major issues (high taxes, waiting lists for surgery, etc.)

In short, while the thought of a McCain presidency strikes me as nice, but not ideal, the thought of an Obama presidency worries me.

Casey and Sarah said...

Good to know that others are torn, too. I don't even care to pay attention anymore, though. It feels like they both just talk bad about each other and always say the other isn't telling the truth. So, is everybody lying? I tried to be engaged for a while to make the educated decision, but it's gotten so annoying. I may just flip a coin! :)
Casey

andy cornett said...

come on now Casey - don't bail out on me! I agree: it seems our level of engagement on the issues is driven way more by soundbites than substance, and it is really hard to parse out where one stands. Keep trying though! Great to hear from you. You and Sarah have actually been on my mind recently, and I will be in touch soon!
A

Unknown said...

Andy,I am in the same unfamiliar territory. IF I vote for Obama, it will be the first time a candidate who is NOT pro-life has EVER gotten my vote for major office. Obama is to be honored for his huge effort among the grass roots of disenfranchised voters, his core belief in access to education as the great class equalizer, and what appears to be a strong family. Yet there is little doubt that our taxes will be higher, government will be bigger and we continue the slippery slide to socialism. Having been raised white protestant middle class and privileged educationally, I was unaware, significantly unaware of how the previously disenfranchised feel. I pay close attention now to what my many Hispanic (some without papers) and black friends think and feel in Denver. Republicans are seen as rich, white, and unconcerned about the poor in this difficult climate here. McCain is to be honored for his military service and sacrifice during the unpopular war of my generation, his courage to stand against Bush, his ardent pro-life position and his commitment to small government. But sleeping while subprime ran reckless, patronizing oil companies, and being out of touch with the vast majority of americans who have no health insurance( me included) and see their modest retirement plans shrink, makes him seem too late to the ball. I do not think I can bring myself to vote for Obama because of his position on abortion.A bald eagles egg in Colorado has more protection than an unborn baby, and that appears to be okay with the entire democratic party. The only thing keeping me from voting early (polls open in Denver tomorrow) is that I will have to made a DECISION now. If I were walking two blocks today to the 1300 block on Detroit, It will probably be McCain, I dont think I can vote any way other than pro=life, but I wish the republicans were wholly prolife, including looking at this war. Thanks for making me always THINK about why and what I believe! mom

David Gale said...

Susan,

One comment about your post--you claim that McCain was "sleeping while subprime ran reckless", but he was actually one of the few Senators who tried to do something about it several years ago. See here, for instance (or just google McCain Fannie Mae 2006).

The rest of your comments are more open to interpretation (how do you quantify whether or not someone is out of touch with a particular group?), I think.

Michael said...

I agree with all the above: Obama is very short on experience, he is very liberal, he has lots of programs that require lots of money, and most of all is he very pro choice. I would like to add this too; whover becomes our next president will probably appoint at least one supreme court justice. You can be sure the Obama will appoint the most liberal judge that he can find and there will be an immediate push to reinforce the Roe v. Wade ruling to streamline third trimester and partial birth abortions. He is on record of stating that a bad decision (on the part of the woman) should not "ruin" the rest of her life.

Anonymous said...

As I consider the issues for voting: life, freedom, care, peace, debt, justice, etc., my heart churns. I realize that soon my submissive and dutiful obligation should be to cast my vote. I need to choose a candidate who lines up closest with my ideals. Or maybe one which one would govern this country rightly. Perhaps I'll choose one who will be the best ambassador to the nations.

But the more I think about it, the more it seems I need to vote for the least worst candidate. Can any person bring about the new life I so desperately crave? Must I choose between two people - neither of whom I view as the solution? (I've been around long enough to know that everyone falls short). Must I hold my nose, turn my head and pick the least repulsive? That doesn't even sound right. God help me!


My memory goes back to a certain Washington Banquet in February of 96. There, Cal Thomas lambasted the young Wheaton students who, at least for me, were ignorantly expecting a nice valentines dinner with a date. His presidential choice story is seared in my memory. It goes something like this:

-An inquisitive man asked me who I was voting for in the next election.

-I replied "Jesus Christ".

-"He's not on the ballet" retorted the man.

-"That's the problem..."



Right now my declaration is "write-in Jesus Christ"!

Unknown said...

David, Michael, Brad - all great discussions. I agree David with your point on mtg - however, McCain was quoted before the collapse of AIG and the bank splatter as saying "what mortgage crisis"? I just know we needed supervision when greed was running rampant.... i enjoyed reading your comments, all. Brad.. reminds me of an article Vernon Grounds wrote at least a decade ago in CT called "when infidels run for office..." I loved the write in suggestion. susan

Anonymous said...

I think if u r a christian, u won't be able to sleep at night if u vote for Obama, on his abortion stand alone - nug said

Anonymous said...

McCain, because his policies are more in agreement with the commandments and the fathers of the church. Obama's abortion position is disgraceful. McCain is also the bravest of men. When you have been a POW for six years and refused to leave.....how can anyone ever intimidate you or strike fear into your heart?