one thing i have learned about myself
I am not sure how exactly this happened, but it is a curious item: we moved 3000 miles away from most of the people we know and suddenly have had a real stream of visitors. Do you like us better from a distance and just want to come out for a quick "fix" for a few days? We really thought we couldn't get much farther away from people than we did when we moved to Florida, but we've done it now. And you didn't come visit us there (some of you did, no, I'm not ignoring you). Of course, some of you actually live there so a visit was pointless, and now it's not.
Seriously, we love having the company. The kids love it because they get extra attention (my favorite person in the house is not the computer, but the kids sure need to be careful about interrupting me while I'm using it) and get to play with a different person every time they turn around. We also get to eat out more and do more fun things, like go hiking or spend an afternoon at the beach.
Which brings me to this self revelation. I am not a fun person. Really, I am not. Many of you are probably wondering why it took me this long to figure that out, since you've known it as long as you've known me, and actually it was not a huge surprise to me. It is just different to have finally verbalized it to myself. What brings it out is this: company expects me to be more fun than my kids do. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the beach, spending a day hiking, riding things at Disney, rooting for the winning team at the Rose Bowl, and all of the other things we have done in the past month. It has been a lot of fun and we are certainly doing well on our goal to enjoy California as much as possible in the short time we are here.
However. I am actually more introverted than otherwise and really enjoy time by myself. With kids, that is really hard to come by. With kids and company.... well, just kiss it goodbye. My laptop misses me. Andy and my father think that I don't use it much anymore, but it's kind of a combination of factors. I miss my laptop. I'm thinking about selling my laptop but have a real anxiety about living without one for an extended period of time because I want to be using it. I really do! And I want to be using it for more enjoyable things than paying bills and balancing the checkbook. I know those days will return. Probably not when the company leaves, more like when the kids leave. Ouch.
Gotta go finish cleaning the bathroom for the next guest. Reservations are requested at least 48 hours in advance. We'll leave the light on for you!
3 comments:
Oh Robin!!
I hear you!! You are experiencing a similiar thing that we did last year. I know I've shared before, but we had about 7 weeks of guests within a four month period, 3 of them being right in a row! And these guest all stayed with us! During that time, I also considered myself an introvert (which as you know I'm not-I need people with me always), but seriously vacationing/cohabitating with family and friends when you're the one doing the majority of the entertaining turns anyone into an introvert.
You are a fun person in my book...I have to argue your self revelation. Sounds to me like you'd like a dose of the "regular" life, and are ready to get out of vacation/tour guide mode. I think I'd consider you a person who is realistic and not necessarily lacking the "fun" side. Just ready for some average time in life...which everyone desires.
Don't give up your laptop yet...promise me that! Jenny
You are WAAAAAY more fun than I am! I would never think to do some of the things you do with your bunch. I think you must have more energy than me and not be as anal as I am about not making big messes. I need to RELAX - then maybe I can be more fun! :)
Woah...I don't think I am coming. I can't really have friends that aren't fun.
Love you!!!
Post a Comment