Friday, April 6, 2007

happy birthday, little sea lion

Yesterday was one of the most anticipated events in our household in a long time. Caroline turned five. Why was she so excited about it? Only she knows. I must confess, I don't feel like we make much splash about birthdays at our house: we do aim for a special meal, cake, and presents, but no parties (so not my forte). However, this year was big news in her little life. I would guess that part of what makes it exciting for her is that she has been eagerly anticipating kindergarten like mad and she knows that this year is the year.

I haven't told her that she is already doing kindergarten work.

Funny thing: her birth is so vivid in my mind as one of the most harrowing experiences of my life, but the details slip through my fingers like sand. Lest you be concerned here, no, I am not going to subject you to a birth story (I recently read one of the funniest birth stories ever and know that nothing I can pen can compare). No worries, there was no traumatic 36 hour labor, last minute interventions, drug reactions, or what have you... all I can claim is an unsympathetic and obstinate triage nurse, an EMT student, and a hallway for a birthing room. No, I wasn't trapped in the hallway; the nurse and student were attempting to get me from triage to the birthing room (question: why didn't she take me when I actually wanted to go to the birthing room? Once she realized that I was about to deliver a baby RIGHT NOW, why didn't she leave me in the triage room? And why did I have to pay the hospital for a birthing room when I didn't give birth in it? I singlehandedly delivered this child (with coaching from Andy) and no one paid ME anything.). It just set the stage for the next fifteen months of her little life, which are pretty much a blur to me. This was not a happy infancy.

Other news: we have rented a moving truck. This train is heading east in mid June. Just in time for hurricane season, hooray! I will say that I am so looking forward to some good thunderstorms. I think it has rained here on maybe three different days since we arrived last August.

Also, we went to Yosemite for three days with my dad. We had a great time, but if this is Yosemite's slow time, I certainly cannot imagine planning a summer visit. We all went snowshoeing for the first time ever, which was a hoot. I am looking forward to David and Rabia buying their property now (wish, wish) so that we can plan a winter visit and snowshoe all over it! We also rented bikes and rode around the valley (snow up high, very pleasant in the valley), which was a neat way to see the park... the speed of driving with the silence of hiking. There are some pictures on flickr, but I didn't get as many as I would like; the light was very harsh.

A blessed Easter to you all.

No comments: