Saturday, July 21, 2007

waiting for Harry

There are millions of people reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows right now, but I am not one of them. Trust me, it's not because I don't want to. I am just waiting for Ed to bring my copy in the mail. Having the patience to wait for that delivery today must mean that I'm older... I think. Andy has already promised the children that once it comes, they won't see Mommy for the rest of the day. What a wonderful husband!

So I'm filling in the time with minor things like blogging and mopping the floor.

In other news, water/sewer construction continues around us. Thankfully, no large machines have driven over our water line this week so we haven't had a breakage in, oh, say... a week. I watch the trucks and loaders drive back and forth past our house (our quiet little street is now a thoroughfare because of our proximity to their staging area, the once green triangle across from the park). Someone spent several days making large stacks of concrete pipes across the street and in our neighbor's yard. Thankfully they chose not to use our yard for a stack; I think our water line would have been crushed under the weight. We think these are for desperately needed storm drains. We were one of the chosen houses to receive new sewer lines all the way up to the house since the clay pipes in our back yard are apparently deteriorating (surprise!). There is a fresh scar of dirt through our back yard, marking the new line of pipe.

Michael had his official end of year homeschool evaluation, which was really more of an evaluation of my record keeping. We both passed; so on to the next year. I've placed orders for mounds of books to add to our collection and am looking forward to digging through it. One major change for this year will be using a full fledged science curriculum instead of winging it like we did last year. This is mainly because I discovered that I'm not all that great at science and if I want the kids to learn it well, I will have to follow someone else's instructions. We'll be officially adding Caroline into the mix (instead of letting her participate whenever she feels like it) and she is very excited about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what did you think of the book? I finished it Sunday and loved it! It was hard to complete the mommy tasks while I knew the book was just waiting for me to finish it!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one waiting in such anticipation. Although I have yet to figure out how to get a copy to Peru, but I will find a way...

robin cornett said...

What mommy tasks? Andy gave me the day off, hooray hooray! I ignored all things Mommy. OK, I took one break to read out loud to the girls, but other than that....

I really liked the book! Andy won't let me talk about it yet because he hasn't finished, but...

Won't Amazon deliver to Peru, Rachel? I would be climbing the walls!