Tuesday, July 31, 2007

sniff! my little boy is growing up


Unfortunately, growing up for all of our children will almost certainly include wearing glasses. Andy and I both started early, which probably makes me a little more vigilant about it. I was forced into glasses at eight when Ms. Viv realized that I probably was not intentionally giving her the evil eye from the back of the bus. Getting glasses was an enlightening experience for me as I'd almost forgotten that trees had branches! Since Michael doesn't have to squint to read a blackboard, he won't have to wear his glasses all the time, but for right now he is excited about experimenting with how things look. I think he looks pretty handsome, myself, but it's kind of heart wrenching all the same.

2 comments:

Jen said...

that's too funny...i remember being pretty amazed that branches had leaves the first time i put on glasses too... and grass -- i didnt know you could see the individual blades until i got my first pair of glasses...

Jen said...

Wow, he looks so studious and grown up! I had to get glasses at age 10, so I totally understand the moment of clarity at the details around you, once the glasses are on the tip of your nose. I once thought a farm we drove by on a regular basis had slanted hay bails in the fields, and once I got glasses, I realized it was a flock of sheep!!

Congrats Michael, have fun with your new glasses. Parker and Colby say hi!