Tuesday, October 23, 2007

tips on setting up a new computer

I'm feeling compelled to write this because I've been asked for help setting up new systems (or protecting old systems too) several times within recent memory. For those of you who are not as geeky as I am, meaning you don't visit websites that are even vaguely geeky or techy, here is Robin's quick tutorial on basic PC things to know. If you want more in depth info, I guess you can email me, but if you really want to know something good, then email my brother instead.

antivirus software: don't have it? Then please don't tell me because I don't want to know. I probably don't want to get emails from you either. Don't tell me you don't want to spend money on it because seriously, in this day and age that's not an excuse. If you keep an eye out you can always get a good program for free (after rebates)! If you don't even want to do that, there are free (before rebates) options as well. Here are the absolute and total freebies:

I'm currently using avast! on my desktop because my free after rebates program of choice (Kaspersky) doesn't like it. I don't know why. One caveat, though: the free programs may not let you schedule regular scans, so you may have to remember to run full system scans yourself. Once a week is good, but I'll forgive you if it's only once a month. FWIW, I no longer use Norton because it didn't play nice with Vista and it really does use more than its fair share of computer resources. I'm greedy that way.

spyware: If you have Vista, Microsoft's Windows Defender is already installed. If you are running XP, I would recommend downloading it. Does it do much? Honestly, mine has never caught anything (then again, I am a careful surfer). But WD is meek and inoffensive and FREE, so why not? One great thing about it is the Software Explorer, which allows you to turn off various unnecessary startup programs (like Adobe Reader, iTunes, Quicktime, etc.). You will want to run the Software Explorer after you have installed all your main programs, because every time one of these guys thinks it's important enough to run at startup, it will do that when you install it. That means that when you do your weekly update of iTunes (c'mon, Apple), you will have to go back in and disable it again. And again.

Another great freebie in this category is Lavasoft's AdAware. It doesn't offer realtime protection unless you pay for it, but the scans are thorough and delete anything remotely spyware-ish. Even tracking cookies. I love it for that alone.

browsing: Are you using Firefox yet? If you're not, you should be. I only use IE for going to Microsoft's site, running Microsoft Update, and uploading pictures to Shutterfly (their plugin does not work with FF). FF is more secure than IE, plus it has great addons available which are worth their weight in gold. I don't even use very many but they are enough to make me never go back:
  • AdBlock Plus. Once you install this, all the ads you hate to see on your favorite sites will become mere white space. Could anything be better? If the AdBlock filter doesn't catch an ad, right click on it and add it to your list. Some sites (cars.com) don't play well with this plugin but they are few and far between from what I've seen.
  • Customize Google. For you gmailers.
  • FireFTP. If you need to FTP stuff and want a free FTP client.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor. This one is critical and works for both IE and FF. Install it, and you have an automatic Jiminy Cricket supervising your searches. Install it and then search for something like "free Photoshop" or "free wallpaper" and see what happens (green means safe, yellow means "be careful", and red means DANGER. Kind of like a stoplight. Easy!).
office: are you too cheap to pay for Microsoft Office? But still want to play nice with people who do? Then try OpenOffice. It's free and it's compatible with Microsoft's version. When you get a new computer, even if you install MS Office, make sure you uninstall the MS Office Activation Wizard, the trial, etc. The AW goes first--as I recall it won't come off if Office is off first. And who wants two copies of Office taking up space? I'd take off Works, too, because why use a program that's not compatible with your friends'?

all purpose setup: I have not used this one for myself, and the author takes no responsibility for any damage done to your computer, but this is for those systems that are fresh out of the box. Do you, like me, really hate that your new computer comes with all kinds of junk/trial software that you don't actually want? The PC Decrapifier (yes, that's its actual name) checks what's on the system and will uninstall the junk for you. You still have control over what goes and stays but I'm sure it helps you to sort the good from the bad.

Well, those are the highlights... if you were to call me for help setting up your new computer, this is what I would tell you to work on, although you would have to look up the links for yourself. It's not a comprehensive list by any means, and I can't take responsibility for blowing up your computer (meaning follow my advice at your own risk). If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

8 comments:

Jen said...

this makes my head hurt. ;)

robin cornett said...

i don't care if it makes your head hurt so long as you come back to it when the time is right. :D

Jason said...

My hairstylist said she removed all of her anti-virus/anti spam software because she thought it made her computer start up too slow.

robin cornett said...

jason, that totally makes me want to cry.

Jason said...

Me too. I gave her about a 10 minute speech about how much harm she could be doing and how anyone with the right spyware could extract any information they wanted. Her response: Well I only use it to look at e-mail so it shouldn't matter.

Unknown said...

Or you could get a Mac and not worry about viruses and PC Decrapifier. :)

Jen said...

AMEN!!!!

robin cornett said...

i suppose i could get a mac, but i don't like buying overpriced monopolistic goods. i also like having choices.