Thursday, April 19, 2007

a happy day for me

This one will just go to show you once and for all that I am just as nerdy as the rest of my family. It is in the blood and I can say nothing else. You may ask what has prompted this latest revelation? I will tell you: I successfully installed a print server.

Yes, you read it right. A print server. See, Andy can bring his laptop home with him, access the Internet on it, listen to music, etc. but he has never been able to access our home network with it... or our printer. This is because of how his office network is set up differently than our home network (which is a really generous way of looking at the home setup). So he has been quietly and without complaint saving his papers, class notes, more papers, and Greek and Hebrew gibberish to his geek stick, bringing it to the big computer, and printing. I can print from my laptop, but only if the big computer is already on.

No longer. Now we can all happily use the printer, no matter what computer we are on. It was a stretching experience, and thank goodness for the NewEgg reviewer who shared in detail how he set his server up--because let me tell you, this manual was worse than useless (starting with when it told me to connect my parallel port server with a USB cable) and the website info discouraging--but it is done and done successfully. And that just makes me feel great.

4 comments:

Mylissa said...

like we didn't know already...and just for the record i have NO idea what a printer server is! love you my nerdy friend...

Anonymous said...

and just for the record that was mylissa...apparently my login records as Mark!!! Told you I am clueless!

robin cornett said...

wow, I was so feeling the love from Mark. it was a little strange, actually. kind of scary.

andy cornett said...

Robin the geek ... and I have to say, it's a complete pleasure to live with her. And very useful too, I might add (though I do feel like less than a whole guy since her electronic skills humble me)!