Wednesday, July 25, 2007

travel plans

I so rarely go anywhere at all by myself that when I do get to go, it's a big deal to me. I just bought plane tickets this morning to fly up to Memphis for Labor Day to see my friend Mylissa! It will be a fun trip, but also some work--I get to shoot Mylissa's family and also some of her Habitat families (if that doesn't ring a bell, please go visit her ministry's site and feel free to support a very worthy cause!). That will be a unique experience, without a doubt, and one I am really looking forward to.

Speaking of which, I'm reminded that I haven't harped on blood donations in a while. Next time you donate, ask about signing up to be a bone marrow donor. When I donated in January out in LA, the City of Hope group had a packet that made it super easy to sign up--no extra blood, just a cheek swab that I did myself! I am officially signed up to be a bone marrow donor; you are eligible up until you're 62, I think. Find out more information here. Apparently you can sign up online, but it costs $52; when I signed up as part of the blood donation, it was free. I guess a pint is worth at least that much?

In other news, I have my semifinal big box of homeschooling curriculum arriving today. I am excited to sort through it and really get down to brass tacks on setting up our year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you'll be pleased to know that your sister-in-law went to donate blood yesterday but got rejected due to a low iron count. I was at 12.0 and you need to be 12.5. SO, my takeaway: bring on the dark green leafys! Kim

robin cornett said...

that's OK, I got rejected last time, too... my iron was a lowly 11.5. I blame it on the cross country drive I'd finished the week before. love you!

Mylissa said...

YAY Robin! Thank you so much for your willingness to donate, and for mentioning the registry. Its SO important.
Looking forward to your trip!
Mylissa