Tuesday, February 19, 2008

my thoughts today

I've been wanting to update again about what's going on at church and honestly, it seems like there are so many different things I could talk about, I don't even know where to start. So I hope you're sitting down because it might be bumpy....

Someone commented in an email to me the other day that they were praying for us and others like us because we were hurting (by the denomination was their implication). I've been thinking about that and I can only speak for myself here, but I can't say that I do feel hurt by the denomination as an entity. Part of that is because our church has been struggling with the PC(USA) politics for years, though, and I've been mentally prepared for their policy changes. I'm not sure I feel hurt by the presbytery, either, although they are serving as the main actor against our congregation, mainly because I imagine that presbytery is crunched between what we want and what they are being told to do from their superiors. And a dash of "we've been down this road before" so I kind of knew what to expect from presbytery as well. What about the loyalist group within our congregation? I think there is some hurt there, or surprise, or something...nothing on a personal level so much. Although the vote was officially announced in October (or whatever the three month mark was), the session has been preparing the congregation for the vote for much longer--officially, at least, since early last spring at a series of three Town Hall meetings (which I missed by way of being in Pasadena). So when the vote was announced, it certainly wasn't news. What was news to me, and I felt kind of blindsided (but maybe I was just out of the loop), was the loyalist organization, whose existence was officially announced at that meeting. I wonder if they had come before the session before that meeting to share their concerns. I don't know all of the loyalists, but those I do know I respect--they have been active church members, mentors, and leaders. I honestly didn't expect their passion on behalf of the denomination. Now that they have officially separated (they are holding their own service on Sunday mornings, separate from the congregation), I don't know what to make of that. Are they that hurt by us? I really felt like the session and leadership was pretty considerate and polite during the entire process (although they were blunt at times). So I guess I am a little perplexed and saddened on that count.

Other thoughts. I told you that Bill announced this "new thing" on Sunday and gave those who wished to transfer their membership the opportunity to sign up? Well, we did. And apparently, so did quite a few others--the last number I head was in the neighborhood of 700. Members. That doesn't count people like my children, who are not members but are coming with me. We all signed up to be a part of a church which currently does not have: property, staff, budget, buildings, location, or a name. It is amazing, exciting, and humbling.

Actually I guess that's enough for me this afternoon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks robin for the update. love you guys. the new church plant will be exciting with that kind of leadership and vision and comitment in place!